Free Mobile Security Apps for Android
More People today are using their mobile devices to connect to the internet than ever before. With the benefits, also come the threats: malware. Supposedly you can get them from app stores and through SMS too.
So how can you protect your mobile phone or tablet from this infestation? Just like security for computers, now developers have rolled out anti-virus for mobile phones too. Here are some of the better ones:
- Avast! Mobile security: This has a virus scanner with which you can scan all your installed apps, your SD card, and apps that you install newly, when you execute them for the first time. A Privacy advisor gives you info on access rights of your apps and spots any privacy risks. The Web Shield vets the websites and warns you about unsafe sites. You can also filter incoming calls and text messages, and the firewall can deny access to the internet while roaming or on Wi-Fi networks. The anti theft features enable the user to sound an alarm remotely, if the device is lost or has been stolen.
- Lookout Security and Antivirus: this free app stops malware, Trojans and spyware. You can configure it to run a scan everyday or once a week. It also scans by default, all new apps and files that are downloaded. Anti theft features include sounding an alarm and geo location of the phone on Google maps, and backup and restore of contacts.
- AVG Antivirus: this app does a real time scan of all apps, files, settings and so on, and also guards against phishing attacks. It will not allow the user to access harmful sites, and will automatically close down apps that are slowing down the device. This also has powerful anti theft features like the ability to lock the phone remotely, alarm sounding and geo locating.
- NQ Mobile Security: guards against Trojans, spyware and malware and prevents you from visiting phishing sites. The privacy monitor scrutinizes apps that seek your personal info without permission. The software includes Traffic monitoring that ensures you stay within your data plan and anti theft services.
- TrustGo Antivirus and Mobile Security: With this app you can schedule scans or run them on the spot. You can scan your phone as well as the memory card to identify and remove all harmful software. It comes with a Secure App Finder that informs you about apps that will not harm your mobile device. It will also alert you if you are about to enter an unsafe site. Other useful features include monitoring data, battery and memory usage. A Privacy dashboard gives you a comprehensive list of permissions used by apps on your phone, and the app also has anti theft measures.
- Webroot SecreAnywhere Mobile: This app scans all your apps and files for any kind of unsafe and malicious software and denies you access to harmful sites. You can also filter unwanted calls and text messages. Anti theft features include remote locking, alarm, and locating your phone on Google maps.
- BitDefender Mobile Security and Antivirus: Checks apps for malware as they are being installed and displays all permissions used by apps, specially marking apps that attract charges, use up data and views your vital info. This antivirus too comes with its own theft prevention features.
Robin Mckenzie likes writing articles related to Technology News, Gadget Reviews and How To’s. He also does guest posting for Buycenturylink.com, a site that offers savings and current information on consumers broadband internet and cable. Click here or you can visit centurylink.com.